Ollie's closeup
...thoughts from Ollie's peasized brain...
HOWDY BUCKAROOS! I'm Ollie, a long nosed leopard lizard. I hail from Murrietta, Nevada but I currently hang my hat in San Diego. Although I was born August 2004, I'm a hardcore Democrat. But above all else, I loves them crickets!

Monday, April 25

Baby pictures

Ollie's first photo EVER
In anticipation of eggs from Nicky and Paris, I'm posting my first photo. The photo above was taken when I was four days old. (Check the size of the head and the scrawny thighs.)

A bit of information: baby lizards are called hatchlings. A long nosed leopard lizard hatchling is determined by the red spots on the back that extend from the base of the neck to the tail. When the spots disappear, they are considered juveniles or yearlings. A full grown adult is determined by length from snout to tail (10 inches and longer) and age (two years and above). A full grown leopard lizard can sometimes reach 16 inches! For the record I am currently 9.5 inches -- a large leap from when I was less than five inches when I was born.

Another tidbit. My color changes based on how much sun I've received. When I'm dark gray, I need more heat and the dark colors help me absorb more. (Notice how a black car is hotter when it's been sitting outside as opposed to a lighter colored car). When I'm a light gray, I'm fully "charged." My reflexes are better and I'm faster. Well that's enough information for today.

3 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger red one said...

Ollie, great post - you've answered some questions I was wondering about. I had no idea you were that big as a hatchling (your poor mum!). But those spots are gorgeous - and I'll be checking how charged you look in future pics.
Happy fatherhood,
RedOne

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Miss Wired said...

He's grown into a *very* handsome lizard!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Andy said...

already cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home