Ollie's closeup
...thoughts from Ollie's peasized brain...
HOWDY BUCKAROOS! I'm Ollie, a long nosed leopard lizard. I hail from Murrietta, Nevada but I currently hang my hat in San Diego. Although I was born August 2004, I'm a hardcore Democrat. But above all else, I loves them crickets!

Monday, July 4

A cousin

Female Collared Lizard

Actually not my own personal cousin but a cousin to the leopard lizard species. Frida, is a female western collared lizard and has on her full breeding colors. Collared lizards get their name from the black band around their neck. Male collared lizards have a slight blue almost turquoise coloring all year long.

The noticeable difference between collared lizards and leopard lizards is the body shape. To put it nicely, collared lizard have froglike bodies and are quite round as opposed to say, me. Another difference is the habitat that collared lizards can be found. While I like sandy areas with a few bushes around for cover, Frida can be found in rocky areas. They're quite good climbers and can run on their hind legs. But I can run on my hind legs too but not as often as Frida.

Another view of Frida
Another view of Frida.

1 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger The Fluffy Tribe said...

Frida is quite cute for a collard lizard...not that we know any others...they don't eat rats do they?

Our Mom wants to know if Frida is named after the artist, Frida Kahlo, who would probably have loved her colours?

~Rodentia (Salsa, Pip, Fig, Georgie, Aeowen, Narnia, Josie)


We eat the geckos Mom loves to have in the house. She gets really upset at us, but we didn't invite them in. ~Merlin, Shadow, Ko Ko

 

Post a Comment

<< Home